Monday, May 3, 2010

Freedom Trashcan

During the second wave of feminism, a group of female protesters threw their “implements of torturer” (bras) into the “Freedom Trash Can of 1968.” This action was a way of releasing themselves from the social constraints on women during that time. Their peaceful protest is remembered today as a feminist tradition of bra burning. The action is now considered a symbol of liberation. Therefore, like other feminist before me, I recreated my own “Freedom Trash Can of 1968” and brunt four of my bras to represent my perception of myself as a strong liberated woman. My documentation of this action is meant to set an example for my female viewers because there are no boundaries that should ever prevent women from being equal to their male counterparts.

No comments:

Post a Comment